Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What's On Sale- Pretty in Pink

In keeping with my I Love Pink blog post, I have been craving to watch the 80s movie Pretty in Pink lately. I remember seeing this movie in the theater when I was in high school and immediately going out to buy a long, straight floral skirt and black hat with flowers. I raided my dad's closet for suit coats (which is hilarious because he's a pretty big guy and I was swimming in them).

Molly Ringwald's character Andie had a profound effect on me and my lifelong wish to be able to create new things from old things. Anyone who has seen the movie remembers the scene where she makes her prom dress. I wasn't a huge fan of the final result of her sewing frenzy, but I still was thoroughly enthralled that she could do it. Years later when I learned how to sew all I wanted to do was repurpose damaged vintage. Today I do just that with my hair accessories.

The fashion in this movie is what I remember most from growing up. Yes, there was the neon pink and green, legwarmers and weird leotard thingies, but this uber-soft, feminine vintage look has stayed with me til this very day.


So for fun, I put together a "Pretty in Pink" outfit from items available on etsy right now. Starting from the top down:

Vintage Black WOOL and Bouquet Hat from thepuddingstorevint

the librarian series/ cream spring blouse from thefeatheredwomb

Vintage large oval floral rose cameo brooch from sakatagin

 


vintage EMBROIDERED pink cardigan. M/L from SimpleThrift

Vintage 80s Leather belt Rocker chic Medium from ChordsofMemory

black velvety floral design long skirt from MissBs

Womens size 8.5 Danexx vintage black ankle boots from KidCurry

  

So there you go. Everything you need to be Pretty in Pink. If you haven't seen the movie, rent it asap. Or better yet, buy the new Everything's Ducky special edition dvd.

 

3 comments:

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage said...

I love that movie too! I woke up at 4 am with my little one a few weeks ago and it was on tv! What luck! The majority of 80's fashion, in my book wasn't a good idea but I do love that vintage inspired, flowing skirt, silky scarf look! My mom was a big Stevie Nicks fan when I was growing up and I always loved her style! Great etsy collection, my dear!!
http://vavoomvintage.blogspot.com/

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous post - lots of pink eye candy to absorb!

Unknown said...

LOL! i visited your blog, and meanwhile on my TV Pretty in Pink is playing! what timing!
the movie has become an homage to 80s style.
xoxo alison

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails