Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cupcake Stands

A new fad that is sweeping like wildfire is to have cupcakes instead of cakes. It makes sense- no cake cutting issues, the ability to offer more flavors, less plates used, etc. I decided to go with cupcakes because I have family members with food allergies and because they are easier to make and transport, my mother can make them for me, saving me a ton of money. I had a lot of fun coming up with the flavors (gluten-free lemon chiffon, red velvet with cherries and chocolate- all frosted with gluten-free buttercream frosting), the look (gluten-free lemon sugar candy, maraschino cherries and chocolate frosting ”L”s), and the super-cute candy striped cupcake liners (on the right).

So I embarked a few weeks ago on finding a way to display my 200 cupcakes that fit with my rockabilly theme. Wow- price shock! The stands that I was finding to hold them all were running upwards of $200-300! OUCH! I was able to find a few under $100 that looked sturdy enough and held at least 100+ cupcakes:
Weddingfads.com- holds 90+ $72.95

Weddingfads.com- holds 90+ $72.95

Cakesbysam.com- adjustable, holds 100 & cake $49.99

Cakesbysam.com- adjustable, holds 100 & cake $49.99

Dalvaydelights on ebay- holds 100+ $39.95

Dalvaydelights on ebay- holds 100+ $39.95



While these are all reasonable options, I decided to look into making some myself. I am pretty handy, know people with the space and tools and liked the idea of having more control over the appearance of the stand. I found a few helpful tutorials that you might be interested in:

Cake journal tutorial
Crafster.org tutorial for 6.5 foot high stand

I am also in the process of trying to figure out a way to make a stand that holds vintage metal TV trays to put the cupcakes on. If I figure out a way to do it, I will post it for sure!

No comments:

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails